A brief summary

This is a good time for a summary of how I've been doing. I've been checking my sugar six times a day, and injecting insulin 4 times a day. As my pregnancy has progressed, (I'm in my 32 week, or 8th month), I've had to inject more and more insulin. I started off with about 12 units before meals, and 12 at night. I'm now up to 80 or 90 units before a meal, and 30-40 at night. I'm going through an insulin pen a day, whereas before a pen would last me at least a week and a half. The insulin does not harm the baby, as it does not cross the placenta. On the other hand, having high blood sugar levels can cause several problems for baby, such as excessive growth (ever hear of those 12 lb babies??), cardiac problems, etc. So that is why it is so important to keep sugar levels at a pseudo-normal level throughout the pregnancy.
I have been doing great for a diabetic. My pregnancy has progressed normally so far, no known problems with baby, no extreme sugar levels. You might recall that last time the baby was about 2 weeks ahead of development. Well, I got another ultrasound this week on Monday, and she is still showing 2 weeks and 4 days ahead of my projected date.
She's weighing 5 lb and 9 ounces!
And I still have about 5 weeks left to go. You cannot imagine my shock when my doctor informed me that if I don't take very special care of my sugar, she could grow at a rate of 1 lb a week. Right now, she's already at a normal birth weight. So now it will be touch and go until the birth.
I can't get over how excited I'm getting. I think I just can't wait to meet this person finally. Boy, am I going to make her do the funniest things. I have a list of costumes and different poses I'm going to take her picture in. She'll be embarassed until she's 50 yrs old! And hey, she doesn't have to sleep in a drawer any more! I got her crib, mattress, and stroller and infant carrier set, thanks to Grandma's insistence. I think she thought I was really going to put her in a drawer. I've started getting baby gifts from the registries (see links to the left). Whereas before I thought some of the gifts were, you know, too cutesy babyish, now I find them adorable. MUST be the hormones. And I'll tell you something else that I think is the hormones. Sit down everybody. I cooked a lasagne. And made meatballs and froze them. I know. I can barely believe it myself, it was like looking at myself cooking from outside my body... Spooky.
My life will be chaos the next few days, as the roofing guys showed up this morning AT 7 AM IN THE MORNING MAKING LOUD NOISES ON MY ROOF, and the painters will start tomorrow in the living room. Why? Why did I think I could get all this done before my belly got in the way? Now they'll be making a mess everywhere, and I won't be able to clean it up by myself.
Wow, this post is getting longer than I planned for. I have to get going, as we'll be going to IKEA today to pick up the baby dresser. Cheers!

1 Comments:
Uh oh. Nesting. Sounds like I may be close to D-Day!!
Post a Comment
<< Home